Colonel William Jones was born in Vincennes in 1800 and as a young man settled in Spencer County where he became a merchant, farmer, politician and soldier. He and his wife Rachel Oskins Jones first lived in a log house on the south side of the road which passed through their farm, and their store and post office stood alone on the opposite side of the road. When business prospered, they erected the present brick house next to the store. Oral tradition dates the beginning of construction at 1834.
A community consisting of perhaps a dozen log cabins grew up around the store and was known as Jonesboro. Jones employed Abraham Lincoln as a helper in his store until Lincoln departed for Illinois in 1830.
Sometime in the 1850's Colonel Jones and his family moved their business and residence one-half mile east to James Gentry's settlement, Gentryville, which had surpassed Jonesboro in importance.
Colonel William Jones House, Department of Natural Resources