Bloomfield is located at the intersection of County Roads 225 West and 950 North approximately 2.5 miles west of Highway 231 in Chrisney.
Bloomfield was laid out in August 1853. In its time, it has had two stores, two churches, a blacksmith shop, a sawmill, a school, a post office and an outdoor theater.
The community was first called Tippecanoe. The Tippecanoe Methodist Church of Grass Township was organized in 1822 with James Lankford being the leader of the group. Mr. Lankford was often called "Tecumseh Lankford" and probably had been in the Battle of Tippecanoe. It is thought that the church and community took its name from that clue.
The cemetery was laid out next to the first frame church in 1842. Today the cemetery, known as Bloomfield Cemetery, is well kept and still used.
In 1858, the church moved to Lot #5 in the town of Bloomfield and became known as the Bloomfield Wesley Chapel. This congregation is presently in their third building and is one of the oldest continuing congregations in Spencer County.
The two-room grade school was built about 1865 and closed in 1938 with students being bussed into Chrisney. The post office, in operation from about 1878 to after 1903, was called the Grass Post Office. The first store was started about 1853 when the lots were laid out in Bloomfield. The F. M. Yearby family ran the store in the original building from 1936 until 1975. Although the business no longer exists, family members still own the building.
Times have changed, but Bloomfield still is a fine neighborhood.