By-Laws of Access Spencer County
ARTICLE I - Identification
ARTICLE II - Purposes
ARTICLE III - Membership
ARTICLE IV - Meetings of Members
ARTICLE V - Board of Directors
ARTICLE VI - Officers of the ASCI Corporation
ARTICLE VII - Contracts, Checks, Notes, Etc.
ARTICLE VIII - Amendment of By-Laws
ARTICLE IX - Non-Profit Operation
ARTICLE X - Remuneration
1. The name of this joint committee of Lincoln Heritage Public Library and Spencer County Public Library shall be ACCESS Spencer County.
2. The principal Post Office box will carry the ACCESS Spencer County name and be located in Dale, Indiana 47523.
3. Fiscal Year. The fiscal year of ACCESS Spencer County shall begin at the beginning of the first day of January in each year and end at the close of the last day of December next succeeding.
4. Spencer County Public Library will serve as the fiscal agent, and Beverly Symon, library director at this library, will serve as the contact representative.
1. The purposes for which ACCESS Spencer County is formed is to encourage, foster and stimulate communicatiions on the "Internet" in conjunction with a program known as "Access Indiana", as established by the State of Indiana, which will enhance education, commerce, trade, business, tourism, finance and professional interest within Spencer County, Indiana; to stimulate, encourage, enhance and promote cooperation and friendly exchange of information among educators and business people; to promote, advance, and stimulate civic, business, commercial, educational, industrial, and agricultural interest and general welfare in the county where ACCESS Spencer County operations are principally located; to acquaint and inform the public as to its objectives and to stimulate public opinion and reaction to these ends by providing access and information from the Internet to other civic, educational, commercial, industrial, social, and public features and organizations as well as foster, encourage, enhance and stimulate these purposes.
2. Further, to relieve and reduce unemployment; to promote and to provide for additional and maximum employment; to better and to maintain job opportunities; to aid the county by attracting industry to the community or area or by encouraging the development of, or retention of, an industry in the community or area; and to lessen the burdens of government and to otherwise act in the public interest.
3. ACCESS Spencer County is organized exclusively for charitable purposes as a non-profit organization as the intended purposes are contained within the meaning and provisions of Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, and its activities shall be conducted for the foregoing purposes, and in accordance with the Internal Revenue Code, and in such a manner that no part of its net earnings will inure to the benefit of any member, officer, or individual.
1. Any individual or organization who subscribes to the purposes and basic policies of the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation by their financial contributions may become a member of the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation subject only to compliance with the provisions of the By-Laws. Membership in the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation shall be available without regard to race, color, creed, or national origin or any manner of discrimination under the laws of the United States and the State of Indiana.
2. Persons may be admitted to membership at any time to ACCESS Spencer County.
Meetings of Members
1. Place of Meetings. All meetings of members of the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation shall be held at such place, within or without the State of Indiana, as may be specified by the President.
2. Annual Meetings. The annual meetings of the members of this ACCESS Spencer County Corporation shall be held at such place and time as may be specified by the President. At this time there shall be elected by the members a slate of officers for the ensuing year.
3. Special Meetings. Special meetings of the members may be called by the President or by a majority of the Board of Directors. Special meetings may be conducted on the internet or in chat rooms if deemed necessary.
4. Regular Meetings. Regular meetings of the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation may be held at such time and place as the President shall designate and provide notice thereon unless otherwise provided by the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation.
5. Voting Powers. The officers having charge of the membership records shall make a complete list of the members entitled by the Articles of Incorporation to vote, with the address of each, which list shall be on file at the principal office of the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation and subject to inspection by any member.
6. Proxies. A member may vote in person or via the internet. No proxy shall be valid.
7. Quorum. At any meeting of The Board of Directors a majority of the members entitled to vote, represented in person, shall constitute a quorum.
Board of Directors
Initial Election of Directors of The Board. To be discussed and selected at a designated meeting.
Officers of the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation
1. Enumeration. The officers of the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation shall consist of a President, a Vice-President, a Secretary and a Treasurer, any two (2) or more offices may be held by the same person, except that the duties of the President and Secretary shall not be performed by the same person.
2. Vacancies in Term of Office. Whenever any vacancies shall occur in any office by death, resignation, increase in the number of offices of ACCESS Spencer County, or otherwise, the same shall be filled by the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation, and the officer so elected shall hold office until his successor is chosen and qualified.
3. President. The President shall be chosen from among the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation, shall preside at all meetings of members, discharge all of the duties which devolve upon a president officer, and perform such other duties as this Code of By-Laws provides.
4. Vice-President. The Vice-President shall perform all duties incumbent upon the President during the absence or disability of the President and perform such other duties as this Code of By-Laws may require.
5. Secretary. The Secretary shall have the custody and care of the records and minutes of the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation. He/She shall attend all meetings of the members and shall keep, or cause to be kept in a book provided for the purpose, a true and complete record of the proceedings of such meetings, and shall perform a like duty for all standing committees appointed by the President, when required. He/she shall attend to the giving and serving of all notices of the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation, shall file and take charge of all papers and documents belonging to the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation and shall perform such other duties as this Code of By-Laws may require.
6. Treasurer. The Treasurer shall keep correct and complete records on account, showing accurately at all times the financial condition of the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation. He/She shall be the legal custodian of all monies, notes, securities and other valuables which may from time to time come into the possession of ACCESS Spencer County. He/She shall immediately deposit all funds of the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation coming into his/her hands in some reliable bank or other depository to be designated by the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation and shall keep such bank account in the name of the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation. He/She shall furnish, whenever requested, a statement of the financial condition of the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation and shall perform such other duties as this Code of By-Laws may require. The Treasurer may be required to furnish bond in such amount as shall be determined by the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation.
7. Delegation of Authority. In case of the absence of any officer of the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation or for any other reason that the Board of Directors may deem sufficient, the Board of Directors may delegate the powers or duties of such officer to any other officer or to any member, for the time being, provided a majority of the entire Board of Directors concurs therein.
8. Removal. All officers of the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation shall be subject to removal at any time by a vote of the majority of the members of the Board of Directors.
9. Resignations. Any officer may resign at any time by giving written notice to the Board of Directors or to the President or the Secretary. Such resignation shall take effect at the time specified therein, and unless otherwise specified therin, the acceptance of such resignation shall not be necessary to make it effective.
Contracts, Checks, Notes, Etc.
All contracts, agreements, checks, bills of exchange and orders for the payment of money, shall, unless otherwise directed by the Board of Directors, or unless otherwise required by law, be signed by the Treasurer, or the President in the absence of the Treasurer.
These By-Laws may be amended or altered at any regular meeting of the Board of Directors by a majority vote.
1. Interest or Dividends Prohibited. ACCESS Spencer County shall, at all times, be operated on a non-profit basis pursuant to section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code and no interest or dividends shall be paid by the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation to its members.
2. Dissolution. In the event that the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation shall be dissolved, any assets available for the distribution shall be distributed to another not-for-profit corporation qualifying for such status under Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
There will be no payment for services rendered to any member of the ACCESS Spencer County Corporation.