Grandview is located on Highway 66 and is approximately 5.5 miles east of Rockport.
Grandview, while smaller than Rockport, was actually settled in 1807, a year earlier than the county seat.
According to Steve Lamar Harris, Lorinda Mason Lamar named the town. Lorinda was the wife of Alfred Lamar, one of the founders. She was sitting on the porch of their home, which stands on the curve of Highway 66 overlooking the Ohio River. She said to Alfred, Oh my, what a grand view! The home is still standing but is not the two story building it was then. Steve is the great-great-grandson of Lorinda.
Early trappers had found plenty of work in the area of Grandview--the original settlers occupied a log cabin left behind at the present location of Sycamore Street.
First incorporated in 1874 when its population was 724, Grandview is experiencing new growth in recent years. In 1986, Grandview Village was constructed by the Farmer's Home Administration on the south side of town. It consists of 24 one-unit apartments. A thriving community, Grandview has several stores, businesses, a park and an active boat dock with easy access to the Ohio.
The Grandview Park board received a grant from the Indiana Waters program which allowed the construction of a boat launch at the community park on the Ohio river. The facility has space for more than 80 vehicles and trailers and is handicapped accessible.
The town's proximity to the river is not always such a blessing. In March of 1997, the river rose over its banks, cutting the town off from the rest of the world. Many homes were left unlivable and some of the downtown businesses were damages as well.
Almost no one moved away, though. They banded together to rebuild the town and reclaim their homes.
Grandview is home to world renown aluminum foundry, aptly named Grandview Aluminum Products. Started in 1964 by Harold and Georgia Banks, the company now employs about 50 full-time workers and is on the verge of an expansion project.
The Bankses were struggling to stay in business in the late 60's with their customized vanity license plates, but soon developed a breakthrough that launched their successful family business. Holly Bronze was the first commercial use of aluminum that had the look of bronze.
Now, Grandview Aluminum produces plaques, signs and commemorative items for country stars, movie actors, towns, government agencies, golf courses and many others. Their plaques can also be seen in the floor of the Nashville Coliseum. Each time a show sells out, Grandview Aluminum produces a specialized three foot round plaque that is inlaid in the floor of the coliseum.
Renovation of the Grandview branch of the Spencer County library began in March 1989 and was completed in 1990. the new addition doubles the size of the facility and increases the number of volumes to 12,000. It also includes a story cove and reading porch.
Since 2004, Grandview has been the home of the Spencer County Fair.